Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Commission

Today,
We watched each other go into the world with the gospel. It is sad to know that we will not see each other ever again, but really excited to know that if we ever do, we will have amazing stories. Just some thoughts of over these last few days fall into Ephesians 1:3-14, as I just look at the Gospel. The amazing truth of compassion, rich grace, and power.

The mission: "Our goal is not to get them talking, but thinking....not people saved, but getting them to take the next." I have been thinking about this a lot. I come from a culture that enforces alter calls, instant baptisms, emotionally hyped camps and conferences. It's been mind-altering to be in a new culture with a completely different context. In our times to share the Gospel, our aim is not to get them talking, but get them thinking. This is the first time they might have ever been exposed to the idea of a personal God. Do I believe that God's spirit is actively moving even when I feel rejected because there is little dialogue? John6:44, 2 Cor5:11, Acts2:47 reveal that God is one who grows the seeds we plant. The goal is not to get everyone saved. If that was the goal that defined our success, these last 20 years of ministry that Josiah Venture has been doing would be a complete failure. Instead, the goal is to be used by God in the leading of souls to Him. I consider how long it took for the Lord to bring me along into His story. Now combine that with a culture that is completely alienated from any spirituality. It is a huge accomplishment for a person in Eastern Europe to say, "I want to know more about this." As I think about our youth groups in the states that number in the hundreds... I am so challenged by the fact that the largest youth groups over here range in the 30-40's (within a church of 100, that's close to 50% of an entire congregation). But these are all students who unchristian, lost, living in sin, but want to know more.
I met a guy named, Syava (He's the guy with the sweet young obi one kanobi locke), from the Ukraine. 9 years ago he was invited by a friend to attend church. He came with the intent to find fault in Christianity to have an excuse to never go again. But because of the community he stayed connected to it. Over the course of time, he needed a job so the church offered him some part time work for the church. He immediately accepted for the easy money. Soon, the church started giving this unbeliever responsibilities around the church. They even gave him some of the church money to attend a pastoring conference. It was after the conference and on the train ride home, that 9 years ago, it all made sense to him that day, and he stood up and said, Jesus I want to follow you. Now, he's a pastor for the largest youth group in the Ukraine (45 kids), and they keep growing.

This is a crazy concept. Empowering people, who aren't even believers, loving them, through community and the planting of the Word, watching them come to the Lord, and taking on leadership in the church and leading their friends and family.
This is reckless abandon.

The last night was spent in our teams and going through a prayer labyrinth. We spent time reflecting on our lives, evaluating our self and writing letters to ourself. We were reminded of the Gospel, which is just as powerful to us now as it is to an unbeliever. The JV staff, in a powerful demonstration, washed our hands and anointed them with oil. We spent a few hours in a powerful time of worship through song. I have never heard the song "OUR GOD" BY CHRIS TOMLIN sung with such conviction and brokeness and power through untuned guitars and cracked voices!

(journal entry June 2, 2010) "Today I choose to live as a humble learner to bear my cross with reckless abandon. Not to serve only but to be a servant and I light my own candle as a sign of my commitment.

Thank you for your prayers
I love you,

Kha



PLEASE PRAY FOR:

1. Teams sent out today. God goes before them and prepares the way. Train schedules, traffic, bus schedules make traveling a huge task. Some teams are driving 20 hours, some are riding trains for 12 hours.

2. The weather has been powerfully making things difficult. It has been raining for a month straight.

3. As our team we will be going into the public schools to promote our english camps

4. Strength. I am especially still very tired and weary. I need rest. My voice, my congestion, digestion, legs need prayers.


















studying the Word together




1 comment:

  1. Kha!!! I LOVE it!!! I love that you're able to experience this family that has changed my life. Isn't it SO powerful to see these teams that are going ALL over Eastern Europe to do what you'll be doing in CZ??? I remember my first time being at intern training. We sang "You Said" by Shane and Shane and it was amazing to know that God has good plans and hopes for the nations we were going out to. I AM praying for you, for rest, for you to be revived physically...enjoy this next month of getting to know your team better and the students that you'll be seeing at camp. Soak up EVERY moment you can brother!!! This summer will no doubt change the rest of your life. I promise. Cheering you on and thanking God for you and what He's teaching you!!!
    -Korean

    ReplyDelete